Normandy Apple Tart
Normandy Apple Tart
Normandy Apple Tart is one of my favourite desserts. I learnt how to make this at cookery school and have adapted it for my own menus. The pastry is very forgiving and you really cannot go wrong with it. I make it either a large flan, individual tart or canape. Sweet and delicious!
- Pastry pâte sucrée :
- 6 oz 175g all purpose flour
- 3 oz 85g unsalted butter, soft
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 oz 85g caster sugar
- grated rind of half a lemon organic or unwaxed
- 3-4 drops of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6 oz 175g ground almonds
- 6 oz 175g unsalted butter, soft
- 5 oz 125g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Calvados or Kirsch
- 2 drops of almond extract
- apricot jam
- lemon juice
- Calvados gives a nice kick to the almond paste.
- A food processor can be used making this pastry, but try not to overwork it or the pastry will become tough. Sift the flour into your food processor and add all the other ingredients, turn on the machine and mix in short little bursts. Keep going until pastry forms a ball, do not overwork it or the pastry will become tough. Remove and collect into ball, knead for a few seconds, wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll out and put into greased a flan dish (one with a loose base is best ). The pastry is great to work with and if it breaks up, just press together again, it will not spoil the end result.
- Return pastry to refrigerator again for 30 minutes
- Bake blind for 7 - 8 minutes (place greaseproof paper over the pastry and fill with beans or baking beans ), remove the baking beans and paper, bake for another 5-7 minutes, until light golden brown. Mix the butter and sugar until nice and creamy add the eggs, ground almonds, sifted flour, Calvados and almond extract, stir it all together
- Fill the pastry case with the frangipane, do not over fill. Place the sliced apples evenly on top and bake at 200C for 30 - 40 minutes.
- When cool, remove from baking dish and dust with icing sugar. Caramelise with a blow torch then brush the glaze all over the top.
- Heat the jam gently on the stove until it melts add the lemon juice and mix.
- Push through a sieve – keep in fridge for next baking day!
Instructions Serves 4 Preparation time – 1 hour Cooking time – 30 – 40 minute
Serving: 0g | Calories: 4740kcal | Carbohydrates: 405g | Protein: 82g | Fat: 320g | Saturated Fat: 147g | Cholesterol: 1626mg | Sodium: 2042mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 234g | Vitamin A: 7868IU | Calcium: 588mg | Iron: 19mg