400ml/16½fl oz. milk
200ml/7fl oz. double cream
1 clove crushed garlic
salt, pepper and nutmeg
1.5kg/3lb 5oz potatoes
You can serve this in one large dish or do individual ramekins.
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Grease an ovenproof dish generously with butter.
3. Combine the milk, cream, garlic and seasoning in a pan, bring to a simmer over a moderate heat, check for seasoning.
4. Peel and slice the potatoes using a mandolin or a food processor.
5. Lay the potatoes into the buttered dish and strain the milk over.
6. Place on tray in middle of oven and cook for 1 hour until the potatoes are tender.
1. Melt 150g/5oz young goats’ cheese into milk mixture for greater depth of flavour.
2. Sprinkle grated gruyère cheese on top for a crispy cheese topping.